Monday, January 24, 2011

Our first "real" sickness---

On Friday evening while Colton and I were watching dump truck videos, I noticed that his hands were ICE COLD.  We hadn't been outside and he hadn't just washed his hands, so I found it quite odd--probably has NOTHING to do with his actual sickness, but I just thought it needed to be mentioned.  So anyway, Steve got home about 12:30AM and came to bed about 1:30, so I was awake for a while.  At about 2:30, I heard Colton crying and saying "my momma" and making an odd noise--like a bark.  I went into his room and he was standing up in his crib crying and I said to him "It's ok.  Lay back down" and he laid down and I rubbed his back and he was making a bit of a wheezing noise.  I went back to bed and he did as well and he woke up about 7:30, which is normal.  We had planned on going to Tallahassee for the day to do some shopping, but I did notice he was still barking like a seal off and on--my first thought was definitely croup.  I took his temperature and he didn't have a fever.  You could just tell by looking at him that he didn't feel well.  He was a trooper all day though.  Every time he "barked" I think it would scare him and he would cry, which in turn made it worse.  I bought him some honey elixir that really helped his cough.  He only slept for about 30 minutes on the way home and then he was wide awake.  I could tell by that point he had a fever and I took his temperature and it was about 100.  I gave him some Tylenol and he laid on the couch covered up with a blanket for AN HOUR watching Yo Gabba Gabba.  Now if you know Colton, that is a HUGE thing.  He is never still for that long and he never watches that much TV.  I gave him a bath and gave him more Advil and his honey syrup and he went right to sleep.  I also put a warm mist humidifier with Vick's Vapor Steam in his room.  However he woke up every three hours crying and I would go in and give him more honey and he would lay back down and go back to sleep.  Yesterday he seemed to feel better and his cough was much better.  We played outside since they say cold air is good for croup.  His temperature was around 99, so not bad.  Last night I put his humidifier back on and he slept all night without waking up.  He went to school this morning and they said he was fine at school, so maybe he is on the mend.  I think he gave it to me though--I woke up this morning with an awful sore throat and my nose is running non-stop.  I would blame school, but Steve had it first so I think he gave it to Colton.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails